Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Resolutions

So, as anyone that has known me for long can attest to, I am a chronically late person. I got better for the last year or two before Spud was born. However, if even I can admit that it isn't that hard to get places on time prior to kids, it is hard after. So, I am once again late for almost everything.

Keeping that in mind, it makes sense then that I would be late with resolutions. Having said that, I don't really believe in making "New Year's" resolutions. I believe in making resolutions at a point in time where you are actually ready to change something in your life. So, in that respect, it's okay to be late.

My big resolution right now is to be "greener".

Now, we're not bad. We recycle (some stuff), we compost (but not in the winter), we try to use reusable bags (when we remember). 15 years ago, we would have been considered pretty environmentally conscious. Now, well we're maybe average, but there is lots of room for improvement.

What I plan to do is make one resolution a month regarding the environment. Not necessarily huge things, but things I think I can actually do. In one way, it seems like small things, but if I try to overhaul our entire lives at once, I don't see us sticking to it. If we pick just one thing to change each month, it becomes habit. By the time the next month rolls around, last month's habit has become part of our normal routine and we're ready to add something new.

So, Happy New Year! And, perhaps it will be a greener new year in our house!

1 comment:

June said...

I am a cronically late person too! I promise you new bags should reach you mid week next week :) Hope you love them!!!