Thursday, November 26, 2009

Where we are now

Well, loyal blog reader. It's time for an update. I'm afraid there will be no pictures today since I am upstairs typing on the laptop. All the pictures are downstairs on our desktop.

It's been over 6 months since I posted and a lot has happened in that time.

I took a trip in the spring to visit my grandparents. I brought the kids, but left my husband at home to work. It was a wonderful time and I feel so lucky that my children got to meet their great grandparents. Spud missed Daddy and got pretty needy and clingy while we were gone. I learned that while I can deal with the kids on my own, I don't like doing it, and prefer to have him around.

Then we moved. There were things we compromised on when we bought our last house. Mostly the location. We bought in an area of the city that was lower priced so that we could have a detached house with a bigger yard. That came at the price of being on the opposite side of the city from the mountains. We realized that wasn't a compromise we wanted to live with anymore, so we put our house on the market and started looking in a town outside the city.

We ended up buying a lovely house with lots of windows and vaulted ceilings. Compromised a bit on the yard, but after some serious landscaping work, it will be really nice. We have a peekaboo mountain view from our front window. (The full mountain views are on the other side of the street and have a much higher price tag). We're across the street from the pathway system and a 2 minute walk from the river.

On the same day we took possession of our house, my little girl turned one year old. So, technically, that means Sweetpea is no longer a baby. Interestingly enough, I was willing to call Spud a toddler once he was that age, but I'm not quite there with Sweetpea. Perhaps it is because Spud is still a toddler now, but they are at much different points. Perhaps it is just because I know Sweetpea will be my last baby and I'm not quite ready to let that go.

In the last few months, having my kids so close in age has gotten easier and easier. In that first year, it seems like only a crazy person would have 2 kids 17 months apart. As they get older, they're playing together more and more. Don't get me wrong. It's not all roses, but it is nice to have them close now. They're both interested in similar activities so it's easier to keep them both occupied with the same thing. Like every parent, I'm hoping they'll be close as they grow older. I don't think the age gap is a determining factor of that though.

A few weeks ago, I recognized the third anniversary of the due date of my first baby. It's funny to think that Bugaboo would have been older then either of my living children are now. But Bugaboo is the baby that remains eternally a baby.

My business has been growing and evolving. I've started focusing more on craft fairs and less on my etsy store. I've realized that I like making the items and selling them, but I'm not so keen on packing them up and going to the post office. For now, I'm keeping the etsy store, but I'm also considering other options year round.

I'm also thinking about branching out with what I make. Already, I've started making tutus and boy are they cute! I'll try to post a picture of Sweetpea in one soon. I have a few other ideas for things I'll start in the new year. Look for some sewing - including some fabric toys. That's right, something for boys! Right now, my craft shows and Christmas sales are keeping me busy.

The thing is, it seems like everyone and their dog has started making hairclips. I actually know of at least 3 people that have bought from me and have recently started making and selling clippies themselves. I can't fault them. Everyone gets their ideas from somewhere, but it's becoming a saturated market and I'm wondering if I should open up my options a little more. After all, with their rise in popularity, it's only a matter of time before Walmart commissions a factory in china to make them.

Christmas is coming. I've never been much of an early shopper, but running a craft business has had me thinking about it for months already. I'm not done my Christmas shopping, but we're getting there. I don't think pictures with Santa will happen this year. Sweetpea was rather terrified of him at my husband's kid's Christmas party. I think we'll hold off on scarring her.

Well, loyal reader, how's that for a lot of information, but not a lot of depth?

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Nice to see you back, I keep checking back to see if you posted anything new. Sounds like you've been super busy.(Its Andrea/OneLove from WB)

I know what you mean about still treating your youngest as a baby, I'm at the same place with Maya. She's our last as well and its hard to let go of the baby stage. I keep putting off weaning her.

My 2 are 22 months apart and I really enjoy the age diff too. Its nice to be done with things like teething!

Can't wait to read more!