Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Your grapes are better then my grapes

So, I'm sitting with Spud, having a snack following his nap. He's in his highchair and I am at the table. All of a sudden, his little finger comes up and he starts making his "eh" sounds. Now, Spud's communication at this point usually involves pointing or leading me to a spot where he wants me to do something. What remains is for me to figure out what it is he wants.

So, I look on the table and see my water. He's thirsty? I offer it to him, but nope. The finger is still up and his eyes are fixed on something. The salt shaker? If so, tough luck, kiddo. I don't need to clean up that much salt again. But his eyes (and the finger) aren't following it as a I move it to a safer spot. What's left? My grapes.

Now, there is nothing special about my grapes. Most of the time, I eat the same thing I feed him. Usually the only exception is when I want something that I know he won't eat. But, today, he likes grapes and I like grapes. So, the only difference between our snacks is that my grapes aren't cut in half.

I am still too paranoid about choking issues to give him an uncut grape, so I pick up a knife, cut that grape in half and hand it to him. Surely, it was something else he was wanting? Nope. As the grape gets to his little hands, a smile spreads across his face and a little "yaaaaa" comes out of his mouth. He promptly shoves the grape in and the finger comes up again to let me know that he would like another one of my grapes.

He still had about 10 grape halves right in front of him.



It just goes to show that we learn young that someone else's is better then ours. I'm not naive enough to believe that this behaviour is limited to toddlers. I, myself, am notorious for taking a bite off my husband's plate because "his tastes better".

No comments: