Monday, December 8, 2008

I can deal with it if you brag about how well your child sleeps,

but I can't deal with it when you complain about it.

Warning: rant ahead.

Honestly, I don't know why parents feel that they are entitled to a full uninterrupted night's sleep. If you get it, good for you. That is really awesome and consider yourself very lucky. But, really, being woken up at night is just par for the course. If you can't deal with it, that is something you should have considered before becoming a parent. Maybe you can hire a night nanny.

Having said that, some babies do sleep through the night very early. My mother claims that I slept through the night starting at 2 weeks. I used to believe her, but since my own children show none of those tendencies, I wonder if she was just sleep deprived and delusional...

BUT DO NOT COMPLAIN when your child gets up once overnight. I feel sympathy if you are one of those unlucky ones that has a truly bad sleeper. (meaning multiple wake ups and stretches of sleep shorter then 3 hours). But, guess what? Having a 4 month old that wakes up to eat once is very normal.

Okay, rant done.

1 comment:

woolthing said...

Hey, I was not delusional. There really are these mythical little babies that sleep through the night and you were one of them.