Monday, December 15, 2008

Illegal contraband

Very soon, my clippies will be considered illegal to sell in the United States of America.

The US is bringing in new, strict laws to deal with the toy recalls and concern about public safety. New laws that, if enforced, will put an end to the handmade industry for children's items. Anybody who makes or buys items for someone under the age of 12 is affected.

Basically, the law requires testing of all components of all items made. So, in one of my clippies, I use a metal alligator clip, and 1 or 2 types of ribbon. To comply with this law, I need to have the clip and each type of ribbon tested. In every clippie. Never mind the fact that I use the same clip in every style or the fact that I use the some of the same ribbons. EVERY style of clippie I make has to be subjected to the same tests. So, since my store currently has almost 100 items in it, and if I only needed 2 tests per item, that would be 200 tests I would need to have done for lead.

Oh, did I mention that these tests cost about $400 each?

So, let's do the math. 200 tests at $400 a pop is $80 000. I guess once I get all of my current styles tested, I'm never going to change what I offer. After all, it will take me about 50 years to start making a profit again after having to shell out that kind of cash.

Toysrus and Walmart don't like this law either, but they can afford it. They might have to get 6 components of a toy camera tested, costing $2400, but they can then sell that same camera 50 000 times, spreading out the cost of the testing considerably. Most handcrafters will make less then 10 of a certain item. Some make everything one of a kind.

Nobody that sells children's items wants to put children at risk. But, the law, as it currently stands is oppresive and unrealistic. Grandmother's that make teddy bears will no longer be able to. Seamstresses selling one of a kind children's clothes will have to stop. Stay at home mom's who make hair clips will be committing a crime.

I rant on occasion about how much I hate Canada post, but right now, I am very happy to living and selling on this side of the border. I won't lie, it will hurt to stop shipping to the States, but it won't destroy my business the way it will for many.

If you are reading my blog from South of the border, please write your congressman and ask them to review this law. Express your concerns about the casualties of these new requirements.

2 comments:

Breeding Fancy Art Prints said...

Wow, that totally bites. I hope they ease up on the law in some way. It's an important one, as products get recalled left and right, but some restrictions are just to severe. Good luck with everything.

Horse Creek Jewelry said...

Wow..that is not right. I often wonder who it is we pick as leaders to run our country and pay big bucks too. What legal entity put this law through and not even once begin to think about how it affects the general public? Really..its not right.