Friday, January 9, 2009

Seat sales bug me!

So, I am trying to plan a trip to Ontario for this spring to visit family. Booking the flight is just plain annoying. I wish airlines could just set the fare and then if they have sales, it is off of the fare they set. Oh, and please be at least a little predictable in your sales.

Last week, I was looking at tickets and Westjet had an ad saying "50% off flights booked by January 5!" What a good deal, right? I thought so, and had every intention of booking. (they actually had the same sale the week before, supposedly ending in the new year.) Anyways, January 6 comes along and darn it! I forgot to book and missed the sale. When I go look on their site, the tickets are supposedly still on a seat sale, but about $50 more each.

Then today, I look and it says "40% off flights booked by January 14." Okay, not as good a sale, I think. But, since I missed the last one, I should consider this one. After all, it might only go up from here on in. Then I look, and the tickets are cheaper then when they were 50% off!

Okay, admittedly I am not a seasoned traveller, having taken less then a dozen flights in my life. But, shouldn't a 50% off sale be better then a 40% off sale? Why do they have to put us in the position of feeling pressured to buy, yet afraid to buy, always wondering if a better deal will come up? I just want to know what to expect people!

Okay, rant done. I think I may just have to buy my tickets this week and then stop looking so that I will never know if the tickets get cheaper yet. If anyone knows the magic formula to this, please let me know.

(While I am speaking of westjet, I believe this annoying phenomenon occurs with most airlines.)

1 comment:

xmomx said...

Yeah that totally makes no sense at all. And I think your right, if you book the flight, don't look at the fares again... it could be depressing. I wish I knew the secret to the cheapest flight. Myk's suggestion is to go through expedia.ca - but maybe you already tried that.