Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Getting sick

I used to think I had it bad when I got sick. Everyone does, right? After all, your head is pounding, you feel nauseous, or you are totally sapped of energy. Or all of the above, which is how I feel right now.

I used to know nothing. Little did I appreciate being able to call in sick to work and lay down on the couch with a hot tea. I could watch movies or sleep if need be.

Getting sick when you are a stay at home mom is a totally different ballgame. The kids don't let you call in sick. If you are really really sick, you might be able to get your spouse to stay home. But otherwise, suck it up, take some advil and deal.

Forget laying down. Spud seems to take offense of anyone laying down in his vicinity. (Perhaps that is related to his hatred of going to sleep.) He'll push on your head and do everything he can to make you sit up. Once you're sitting, he undoubtably wants to pull you off in one direction or another.

Sweetpea is still basically a newborn (I don't know for sure what age they are considered newborn until). She could care less if I am exhausted, she needs to eat. This time, I fought a serious battle to make breastfeeding work and that means I am the only one that can feed her, day or night. She also inheritated some of the anti-sleep genes that her brother has, so she can't seem to go to sleep unless she is being walked around or at least bounced on the exercise ball.

Meanwhile, Spud seems to be teething, so he is cranky. REALLY cranky. Waking up from his nap, he threw a fit. When I pick Sweetpea up, he throws a fit. Yet, for some reason, he has started taking offense to her being put in her swing, so... wait for it... he throws a fit. He wants to hold her, then he pushes her away.

Really, none of this is abnormal behaviour for my (or anyone else's) children. The difference is, I just want to curl up on my couch with a tea. And that's not an option.

How little I appreciated being sick before.

1 comment:

xmomx said...

Aw! I hope you feel better soon.