Monday, October 20, 2008

I became one of those mothers...




Today I became one of those mothers that other mothers raise their eyebrows at. Oh, the incompetence...


I was at the nearby malls play place today with Spud and Sweetpea. Now, Sweetpea is generally a passive observer in our adventures since her main activities still consist of eating, sleeping and pooping. In the last couple of weeks though, she has also started to smile alot.

So, Spud was climbing one of the structures. (A far better climber then he ought to be at 19 months.) Sweetpea was sitting in her bucket seat in front of me giving me one of her heartmelting smiles. I took a moment to coo and smile back at Sweetpea and when I looked up, Spud was no longer there. No worries, he probably just headed back to the tunnel he was at a moment earlier. Nope, not there either.

My heart started to beat a bit faster as I looked around for him. After what felt like an eternity (but was probably no more then a few seconds), I look towards the entrance, and there he is, gazing into the vast expanse of the mall. I call out his name and he looks back at me, waves, and takes off. The parents standing around the entrance part way for him to go through while looking on dissaprovingly. I rush over (while carrying Sweetpea in the bucket seat) and have to ask one of the ladies (who had moved aside without being asked, for Spud) to get out of my way. He doesn't get far before he is apprehended and brought back. (Only to take off again a few minutes later, which brought an end to our play time.)

Now throughout all this, there are many raised eyebrows and "tsk tsk"s.

And so, I would like to offer my heartfelt apologies to all the mothers and fathers I have "tsk tsk"ed in the past. I am sorry I let out that sigh as your son grabbed the chocolate bar. I realize I was out of line when I gave you a look for not controlling your temper tantruming daughter. I even understand why you just bought that that toy rather then having a full out fight in the middle of the store. I did not know.

I think a harness is in Spud's future. I can just see the looks already...


2 comments:

woolthing said...

Rascally kid! hee, hee.

Unknown said...

Awww... dont feel bad! I too was like that, before I became a nanny to twins!! Now I tell my husband when he tisk's - "just wait until Lorelai is older and doing that" It happens to all of us. BTW you can get really cute harnesses at target or walmart. (they are backpack like and come in differt animal shapes)